STONE DEFLECTORS /PROTECTION

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: STONE DEFLECTORS /PROTECTION

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm

With the marine carpet secondary shield in place...
finished5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

vwillis
Avid poster

Post by vwillis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:13 am

Hi OT

Congratulations on such a great job. Well done and thought out.

I am looking at building a trampoline stone protector also. Just one question, how did you attach the trampoline to the caravan? A photo would be appreciated :!:

Vince
Happy and safe travelling
Vince and Doreen
2013 Jayco StarCraft Outback 19'11"
2007 Pajero DID

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 pm

A photo would be appreciated

G'day Vince,

I made a metal loop welded to a bit of flat and screwed it to the crossmember...
tie point1.jpg
The rope is attached (when cut to length and tidied) to a climbers carabiner for quick connect...
tie point2.jpg
There are actually 3 ropes. One each side and one across the rear of the skirt (vertical arrow) to stop it flapping...
tie point 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo

vwillis
Avid poster

Post by vwillis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Thank you OT. You have done a brilliant job and should be proud :)

Vince
Happy and safe travelling
Vince and Doreen
2013 Jayco StarCraft Outback 19'11"
2007 Pajero DID

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks Vince :D

I think 'proud' should await the end of field testing in case it turns to 'sombre reflection'. Anyone can rightly be proud of their efforts but a fair bit of shine is lost if it doesn't work.

If all is good then I'll be quite proud if you buy me a beer ;-) Mally already owes me a slab :mrgreen:
Regards, Old Techo

NEVILLE & TRISH
An old hand

Post by NEVILLE & TRISH » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Old Techo wrote:Thanks Vince :D

I think 'proud' should await the end of field testing in case it turns to 'sombre reflection'. Anyone can rightly be proud of their efforts but a fair bit of shine is lost if it doesn't work.

If all is good then I'll be quite proud if you buy me a beer ;-) Mally already owes me a slab :mrgreen:
You might be waiting awhile OT he is fairly tight :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Neville.....

Mally
Cracked the big time

Post by Mally » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:52 am

Ready to go old Techo at Hervey Bay at the moment are you close cos I'm drinking them one by one ??????

Johnyboy
Getting the hang of it

Post by Johnyboy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:54 am

This looks AWESOME OT, looking forward to your road test report. Might need to put an order in 8-) .
Regards
John

gazndaf
Avid poster

Post by gazndaf » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice job OT, I made a stone stomper type last year, just home after using it a few times on the dirt. Trouble with shadecloth is it did get rips and holes in it from abrasion and rocks but a few stitches here and there fixed it up, besides shadecloth is cheap.

Gaz

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:59 pm

To quote myself...

I did a field test of the finished product. I hooked up the van and drove around 10 kms at speeds up to 100 kph. Before this I fitted a digital camera to the front of the van and in movie mode recorded the test run. I wanted to see how the skirt flapped at 100 kph, also the stone flap action across the back of the tug and the articulation of the swinging arms on corners. All performed perfectly..... except for one major issue. The hot exhaust gas from the tug melted the acrylic marine carpet tug flaps. It even melted a small area on the shade-cloth skirt leading edge after it got through the carpet :shock: :o :oops:

I had intended to make a small extension for the exhaust pipe to point it downwards. I forgot about it and probably just as well. I hadn't given any consideration to the quantity and temperature of gas from the exhaust pipe when working hard towing. Forcing the hot gas down is contrary to its natural desire.

I pondered solutions beginning with using heat resistant material. Eventually I decided to remove the problem and pipe the heat away properly and upwards to clear everything vulnerable to heat. I patched the tug flaps and opened up the melted hole to clear the new pipe. I fashioned/shaped a tailpipe extension out of some 65 mm pipe and clamped it on. It only takes a minute to fit it and it would be removed when not towing, as would the tug flaps also held on by only 1 bolt.

Disappointed with my design failure I did some Googling using 'Stone Stomper' and 'exhaust' as search terms. I found I am not alone as others have similar issues with Pro products. One owner stated that Stone Stomper warranty does not cover exhaust heat damage.

Anyway, field testing or break-down cruises have a real purpose - to find weaknesses or failures. Here now is Mark II.

This is a freeze-frame from the movie with the burn circled...
pipe1.jpg
The next 2 are the repaired flap and tailpipe extension.
pipe2.jpg
pipe3.jpg
Regards, Old Techo

Return to “General Tech Talk”